Welcome to the Riverside School Parent-Teacher Organization (RSPTO)!
Who We Are:
The RSPTO is a group of caring volunteers dedicated to enhancing the educational experience of Riverside students through a variety of programs and services. If you are the parent or guardian of a child in Riverside School, you are already a member!
What We Do:
Through our collective efforts, we strive to:
➢ enrich our children’s educational experience;
➢ support our dedicated staff and administration;
➢ strengthen our Riverside community; and
➢ teach our children the value of community service.
The RSPTO’s annual budget is $31,000. Significant costs included $16,000 for enrichment programs such as:
• An outdoor garden residency for all students with resident master gardener Dorothy Mullen;
• A drumming and movement residency for the first graders;
• Yoga residency for the second grade;
• McCarter Theater poetry/performance residencies for the third, fourth, and fifth grades.
The RSPTO also spends $2,000 for all-school assemblies, including a Franklin Institute show for Science Week and the end-of-year assembly. RSPTO provides ~$1,200 in homework planners and folders for all Riverside students each year, ~$2,000 for garden maintenance, as well as ~$3,250 on teacher support (i.e. class events, yearbook, choral and instrumental concerts, classroom technology, appreciation luncheons for staff, Grandpals program, and visiting artists).
In addition, the RSPTO provided volunteers and financial support for:
• The Do Something, Games, World Language and Garden Clubs;
• School picnics in fall and spring;
• Pancake breakfast;
• Holiday cookie boxes for the staff;
• Scholastic book fair with a free book for each Riverside child;
• The 5th Grade Gettysburg trip and Moving On ceremony.
The RSPTO also organized and/or supported:
• The “Healthy Children, Healthy Planet” garden fair/community event;
• “Authors’ Night” for our budding authors, and adult author presentations;
• UNICEF, food, winter clothing and backpack drives;
• Library and computer lab volunteers; and
• A book swap for our kids, with a book donation to others in need.
Click here for a complete list of programs and events supported by the Riverside PTO.
What You Can Do:
1. Ideas & suggestions → share an idea for a new event, club or other program, or tell us about what is working or what could be improved.
2. Time & Talents → Volunteer opportunities abound to fit every schedule, day and night, including class parent, library volunteer, garden volunteer, cook or baker, event coordinator, website guru or McCaffrey's receipt-counter (night owls take note!). If you can spare even one or two hours, it can make a big difference in terms of what we can do for our kids. Feel good and get to know your kids’ teachers, friends, and other parents. It can mean so much to your child to see you involved in their school experience. Even if you can’t volunteer, simply attending and enjoying our events with your family can help strengthen our school community.
3. Financial Support → suggested annual dues of $30 per child, together with funds raised and donations, go directly to support your child’s learning experience through residencies, assemblies, classroom supplies and other programs. The RSPTO spends ~$100 per child on programs and services. As the RSPTO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, donations are tax deductible. If your employer has a matching gift program, please utilize it when making your donation. See other fundraising opportunities to see how 1% of your McCaffrey’s and Target purchases can support our school.
How to Volunteer/Learn More:
We look forward to meeting you!
Jyoti Narasimhan and Bonnie Funiciello
2021-2022 Riverside PTO Co-Presidents